British foreign minister calls off Cyprus visit

British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond will not make it to Cyprus on Tuesday due to the ongoing nuclear talks in Switzerland between Iran and the major powers.
No new visit has been planned, a spokesman at the British High Commission said on Monday.
“The Foreign Secretary had planned to travel to Nicosia but ongoing talks on Iran in Switzerland means his plans have had to change,” the spokesman told the Cyprus Mail.
No new visit has been scheduled, he added, as Hammond would be returning to the UK, which has entered an election period. Britons go to the polls in May
The planned visit was part of a European tour to push Britain’s EU reform agenda. Hammond was due to meet both Cypriot leaders to discuss the Cyprus problem, bilateral relations, developments in the Eastern Mediterranean region and the fight against terrorism.
Political parties were all riled up last week over reports that Hammond would be in Cyprus and meeting Eroglu on April 1, the 60th anniversary of the EOKA uprising against colonial rule.