Ninety-nine per cent of contract soldiers have now successfully completed their training Defence Minister Christoforos Fokaides said on Friday at a swearing in ceremony in Limassol.
Similar ceremonies were taking place at training camps around the island after the completion of two weeks of intensive training.
“After years of unfulfilled promises and barren political debates, the first professional soldiers are joining the National Guard,” the minister said adding they were selected through competitive procedures which were perfectly transparent and by merit.
Addressing those who doubted the success of this new institution he said “the reality is different” and noted that this is evident today “from their stance, their clean looks and a perfect swearing in ceremony”.
He went on to say that despite rumours, 99 per cent of those who started their training two weeks ago had successfully completed it.
Fokaides also made reference to the study plan with reduced tuition and the vocational training plan and called on the professional soldiers to seize the opportunities for self-improvement.
After the ceremony, the men had the opportunity to receive information on discount packages from representatives of universities and colleges who had been invited to the camps.
Banks and insurance companies were also invited and offered special deals and packages to the soldiers.
It was also announced on Friday where the men will be based. All those who are married are allowed to choose. Where there are not enough positions filled, mainly in Limassol and Paphos, an effort for the best fit was made.
The contract soldiers are eligible for free public transport.
Three thousand national guard soldiers presented themselves at boot camps in Nicosia, Larnaca, Limassol and Paphos on November 1.
They were informed of their duties and responsibilities and had a first round of training before being sent to their units on November 14 where a second round of specialised training will begin.
Unlike conscripts, they did not spend their nights in camp but were free to leave after training each day.
According to their contracts, the soldiers are entitled to decide within six months, without paying any penalty, whether they want to stay in their position, or leave.
If they decide to stay, their first year will be considered as a probation period after which their contracts can be renewed every three years, up to three times.
The move to a more professional army is directly linked to the recent reduction of military service for conscripts to 14 months with authorities also hoping it will be an incentive for unemployed young men to stay in Cyprus rather than emigrating.
Contracted soldiers will receive €1,127 a month plus a 13th salary. The contracts will initially be for a year but can be renewed three times for three-year stints up to a maximum of 10 years’ service. On leaving the army soldiers can earn a bonus linked to their salary and time served, provided they complete three and a half years in total.