THE final list of the successful candidates who will fill the 3,000 new professional positions in the National Guard will be announced in mid-September, the permanent secretary of the Defence Ministry Christos Malikkides said on Wednesday.
After the June 24 deadline for submission of applications, a further 15 days was granted for appeals.
At the moment, the objections filed are being reviewed, Malikkides said, and upon completion of this phase, the final list will be published.
Around 5,000 men applied for the new contract positions announced earlier in the year with the aim of reducing the high unemployment rate among the youth. The move is directly linked to the reduction of military service for conscripts to 14 months. Eligible to apply were Cypriots up to 32-years-old who have completed their military service, have no criminal record, and have completed high school. Women will also be able to apply whenever vacancies come up as of next year.
Candidates have already undergone medical tests, and those deemed fit were ranked according to the grade on their high-school leaving certificate. After the final list is published, the successful candidates will be called to submit the requested documents and sign a contract.
Professional soldiers will earn €1,127 a month plus a 13th salary. The contracts will initially be for a year, renewable three times for three-year stints up to a maximum of ten years’ service. On leaving the army, soldiers can earn a bonus linked to their salary and time served, provided they complete at least three and a half years of service.
Working hours will be from 7am to 2pm, five days a week but not excluding duty shifts, identical to the National Guard’s permanent staff, with 20 days holiday a year, and 28 paid sick leave days. They will also be entitled to medical treatment in state hospitals, including their spouses and children.
Soldiers will be able to enhance their job skills during their service with fees reduced by up to a half for afternoon and night classes at private universities, with which the defence ministry has signed cooperation agreements.