Manhunt after hit-and-run death

A MANHUNT has been launched in Paphos after a hit and run incident left a 24-year-old Bangladeshi man dead.

At 7.30pm on Tuesday evening, a car driven by an unknown person, on Eratous Street in the Yeroskipou area, hit the unnamed Bangladeshi, who was riding a bicycle. He was immediately rushed to Paphos General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The driver of the car failed to stop and is still at large, with the police calling on anybody with any information to come forward.

No to Karpasia bishop

ARCHBISHOP Chrysostomos’ decision to appoint a Bishop of Karpasia has caused a wave of reactions in the north.

According to yesterday’s Turkish Cypriot press, the mayors of occupied villages Rizokarpaso, Trikomo, Galatia and Yiallousa stated that they would not allow the arrival of a bishop in Karpasia. They added that they didn’t wish the Apostolos Andreas Monastery to be filled with priests.

Jewels stolen

LIMASSOL CID are on the lookout for thieves who broke into the car of a jewellery shop owner and got away with around £91,000 worth of jewellery from her car that was parked on Theklas Lysiotis Street. According to the 54-year-old owner of the shop, the jewels were in a black leather bag. CID Inspectors believe that the theft took place between 6pm and 9pm on Tuesday evening.

Police attack

A POLICEMAN from Dherynia was injured on Tuesday evening after being attacked by a coffee shop owner. According to police, the 29-year-old coffee shop owner had become angry and abusive when police officers raided his shop and seized a touch-screen computer game, currently banned in Cyprus. Upon his arrest, the man began shouting and swearing at the officers before lunging at a police constable. The constable was taken to Famagusta General Hospital where he was treated for bruises and scratches to his neck. The coffee shop owner was charged then shortly released.

Suspected overdose

A 23-YEAR-OLD Cypriot man was yesterday found dead in his Nicosia bedroom from a suspected overdose. The police said the man was discovered at 11am at his home in Strovolos with his body showing no signs of injury. A postmortem will be carried out today to establish the exact cause of death.