‘Bring the evidence over’

Talat tries to end stalemate over Guzelyurtlu suspects’ trial

TURKISH Cypriot ‘prime minister’ Mehmet Ali Talat yesterday accused the government of committing an “international crime” by refusing to pass vital evidence concerning the murder of businessman Elmas Guzelyurtlu and two of his family members almost three weeks ago.

“The Greek Cypriots say they have the evidence, but keep it hidden. And by keeping the evidence hidden they are protecting those guilty of the crime,” Talat said, again calling on the south’s police to hand over the evidence through “unofficial channels” if they preferred.

Talat also repeated his pledge not to hand the eight suspects now being held in the north over to police in the south.

“If the Turkish Cypriot courts believe there is a case to prosecute the suspects, prosecution processes will begin here,” Talat said.

Meanwhile, the lawyer now representing four of the eight suspects being held in the north refuted comments made by the four’s previous lawyer that the four wished to be tried in the south. The men’s previous lawyer resigned after a court extended his clients’ remand period two weeks ago
“They do not want to go south, and never did,” Turkish Cypriot lawyer Erden Algun told the Cyprus Mail yesterday. He is the four’s third lawyer since their arrest two weeks ago. Asked whether he believed a case could be brought against his clients in the north he said, “I don’t know how they can. They have no evidence”. Algun added that under Turkish Cypriot law investigations could continue for up to three months, during which suspects can be held in custody.

Talat remained hopeful, however, that “political developments” could transpire during the investigation period, bringing to an end the current deadlock where authorities on either side of the Green Line refuse to cooperate.

He added that cooperation was imperative in a situation where citizens were free to cross from one sector to another.

“Drug smuggling is happening every day. While the source of the drugs may be the north, smugglers are caught in the south. But the police in the south do not have access to the suppliers,” he said, adding that an agreement between the two police forces would benefit those interested in fighting crime in both communities.

“Maybe we can come to an agreement to overcome all these problems,” Talat added.

Talat claimed the south’s assertion that they had the right to try the suspects was in contravention to the Republic’s constitution.

“Despite the fact they do not have the right to try the suspects, they still are demanding that they be handed over,” he said. “The victims and the suspects are Turks, meaning they must be tried in a Turkish court by a Turkish judge”.

Talat argued that working with the Turkish Cypriot police to arrest and convict criminals did not constitute recognition of the breakaway regime in the north.

“In the same way as they accept our identity cards and vehicle registrations when we cross to the south, they should accept the work of our police and courts,” he said.

He added: “Since they [the Greek Cypriots] are not ready to find a solution under the auspices of the UN, we suggested coming together to deal with day-to-day problems. But they aren’t even willing to do that”.

Cyprus government spokesman Kypros Chrisostomides rejected Talat’s call for cooperation saying, “There can be no communication with the administration of the occupation regime on this issue,” add that arrest warrants for the suspects held in the north had been issued through Interpol.

“We expect Turkey, which is a member of Interpol, to intervene so the suspects are delivered to the Republic. If Turkey does not respond…it will be seen to be in violation of international agreements to which it is a party”.

A Turkish Cypriot court will decide on Tuesday whether to extend the custody period of all eight suspects.